New Zealand Financial Markets Law and Practice Contributers
Derek Parker has written the core financial markets conduct chapters including the chapters on Offer Disclosure, Fair Dealing, Governance and FMC Market Services. Derek has nearly 30 years experience as a lawyer in the financial services area. He was a partner at Chapman Tripp and also worked for major international law firms in London and Hong Kong. His experience encompasses capital markets and corporate finance transactions, funds management, corporate governance and financial regulatory matters.
Nicky Won has reviewed and edited all of New Zealand Financial Markets Law and Practice and has updated the chapters on Financial Advisers, Financial Service Providers and Brokers. Nicky is also editor of New Zealand Company Law and Practice. She has worked in New Zealand and Hong Kong as a corporate securities lawyer, including working as a senior solicitor at the Financial Markets Authority.
Bede Carran, qualified as a lawyer and accountant, Bede has written the Financial Reporting chapter of Financial Markets Law and Practice and has also revised the Accounts chapter of New Zealand Company Law and Practice. He is currently Chief Executive of Waimate District Council.
Kevin Patterson, barrister, New Zealand and Hong Kong. Kevin has written the Market Misconduct chapter. He has worked as a partner at Richards Butler in Hong Kong, as a barrister at Gilt Chambers Hong Kong and at the New Zealand Serious Fraud Office.
Angus Dale-Jones has reviewed the Financial Advisers chapter. Angus has extensive experience in regulatory compliance in the financial services sector, with over 17 years at ASIC and three years at the New Zealand Securities Commission, where he was the director responsible for the implementation of the Financial Advisers Act 2008. He is now Head of Compliance at New Zealand Assets Management and has his own regulatory compliance consultancy business, Knax Consulting Ltd.
Sara Bruce has written the Anti-Money Laundering chapter and the Mutual Recognition for Offers commentary. Sara was formerly a senior solicitor at the FMA. Prior to that she worked in AML legal and compliance for the investment bank Credit Suisse First Boston in London and was instrumental in setting up the global AML programme for the fund manager Wellington Management Company headquartered in Boston
DLA Piper New Zealand
DLA Piper has reviewed and updated four chapters: NZX Listing, Takeovers, Regulators and Enforcement and Securities Act Disclosure. DLA Piper New Zealand, the first global business law firm operating in New Zealand, advises New Zealand and international clients in every major sector. They provide innovative, commercially astute advice.
- Sue Brown is a partner in DLA Piper’s Corporate and Financial Services teams and has overseen and edited DLA Piper’s writing for New Zealand Financial Markets Law and Practice. Before joining DLA Piper, Sue was a member of the Financial Markets Authority’s leadership team and played a lead role in shaping and delivering the FMA’s regulatory approach to recent regulatory reforms.
- Tom Barnes is a Senior Associate in DLA Piper’s Financial Services team and updated the Takeovers chapter. Tom started his legal career at the Takeovers Panel, where he was involved in the broad cross-section of the Panel’s regulatory activities. At DLA Piper, Tom’s practice focuses on regulation and compliance in financial services.
- Geoff Ward-Marshall is a Senior Associate in DLA Piper’s Corporate and Financial Services teams and updated the NZX listing commentary. Before joining DLA Piper, Geoff spent over a decade practising law in Guernsey, Channel Islands, where he regularly established and advised entities listed on the London Stock Exchange and various other exchanges.
- Lara Wood is a Senior Associate in DLA Piper’s Corporate and Financial Services teams and updated the Securities Act commentary. Prior to joining DLA Piper, Lara worked for another large New Zealand law firm as well as Ogier in Hong Kong and Westpac in Sydney. At DLA Piper, Lara works on a wide range of corporate and commercial matters, but specialises in trans-Tasman offerings and funds management.
- Simon York was a Senior Associate in DLA Piper’s Financial Services team when he wrote the Regulators and Enforcement chapter. Simon has over 10 years financial markets legal experience. Prior to joining DLA Piper, Simon spent five years working in Jersey, Channel Islands, for a leading offshore law firm where he focused on investment funds.